Thursday, July 31, 2008

Here's another story

"Barbara, I want to thank you for the effect you have had on my life.
> I hated my job and wanted to quit so I could be an artist, dammit, so
> when I got to the part that said you weren't going to tell me to leave
> it, I was ready to quit reading. Boy, am I glad I didn't. I love to
> take photographs. (I was the production manager of a cable network --
> basically a glorified janitor). I always thought 'it's who you know to
> get a gallery showing and I'm too old to go back to school.'
>
> ...Then I buy myself a camera for Christmas and enroll in a beginning
> photo class. I talk about it so my office mate tells me to hang up one
> of my photos in the office. People see it, start talking to me, some
> even give me equipment they haven't used since college and I start
> photographing my co-workers and friends and decide to make a gallery
> of my own house by filling up the empty hallway that leads to the
> second story. Visitors see my pictures and pass my name on to friends
> in need of head shots. An actress at work sees one of my proof sheets
> and a week later I am paid to redo her headshots.     She takes those
> headshots to a casting and the director asks her who did the pictures
> and soon I have a call asking me to place business cards in her
> office...and the business starts coming in.
>
> Last week the actress Teri Garr came up and said to me, "So you're
> the guy taking the great pictures," and two hours later I was
> photographing her, just to give her shots of herself 'behind the
> scenes.' The executive producer of her show saw them and asked me to
> photograph the whole cast...and said he didn't know why I was working
> as a facilities manager (head janitor) when I had so much talent...He
> ended the week by saying let's ee what we can do about making you a
> staff photographer next season.
>
> Here's my point: if it should happen, great. If not, that's great,
> too. I have what I love to do and I can continue to do it whether I am
> paid for it or not. Barbara, Thank you, Thank You, Thank You!!! Howard
> J. C., Photographer. " CA

No comments: